Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (or to start conversations before we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The stranger and The killing Of the Arab

Priscilla Ortiz
English 102
March 29th 2016

When Mesursault is asked to go to Paris, he doesn't   seem to be as pleased and excited as anyone in his position would be.  Anyone at any point in their lives would love to go to Paris and get to know other parts of the world.  I know the excitement people feel when they get the opportunity to go to a new country, and I know what Paris is like because I have gotten the opportunity to go a visit the city of Paris.  his reaction to him getting sent to Paris, really shows that he is the type of person that doesn't like to go on trips and prefers to be alone.  His answer to Marie's proposal was so out of line, because she's showing him that she really cares for him and that she loves him and he doesn't show any emotion towards the proposal.  Most importantly i believe he killed the Arab because he wanted to defend his friend and that fact that the Arab was also coming at him after he went in the fight.  He tries to one protect the friend and that fact that he knows that he cheated on his girlfriend and he also tries to defend himself after the Arab came at him.  In my opinion its " not enough"  that meursault's mother had died because now after she died hes saying that he loved her very much and that he cared for her, when hes not the type of person to show his emotions and now that shes gone, he's telling everyone and the detectives that he wished she was still alive but now its to late.  I believe that the Magistrate asks him if he believes in God because he seems like a person who doesn't care about anything nor anyone and a person who doesn't have faith, I believe it made him believe that he actually did kill the Arab with a more driven intention.  I think that maybe under his mattress in prison he found the news story because it reflects what he did when he shot the gun to kill the Arab, and that the way he killed the Arab after he got a knife pointed at him could also be argued by many that it was self defense since the other guy had a knife pointed at him to come at him.  The quote sounds a bit confusing to me, but, I believe that shes trying to tell him that if he goes slow he will get a  stroke but if he goes fast he will get chills it can reflect what he did when he murdered the Arab at the end he got chills because he knows he did something wrong and that he did something that Is unacceptable and forbidden.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are right about Meursault that he has no feelings for his girlfriends proposal. He doesnt care if she marries him or not. He also wants her mother back now which dosent make any sense because I thought he didnt really cared about her mother. I have the same thoughts as you have for Meursault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, he seems like he shows lack of emotion for everything and everyone around him as if he doesn't show any interest in anything around him or the people around him at all

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.