Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (or to start conversations before we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The boys in Orange and Blue

Its hard to talk about it. I need to make sure I include all I should. The book is similar to the clip. Central Park Five is similar to Picking Cotton in many ways. Not only did people serve time for being wrongly convicted, someone suffered physical and mental abuse. Families suffered from the effects of the aftermath. Lives redirected and shifted I bet at some point the victims thought. What stood out to me is Mr. Wise storytelling and the baseball player explaining his awkward relationship between him and his father. Also the true victim is completely forgot about, or at least mentioned very little. I know time heals all wounds, most experiences last forever if not all of them. What stood out to me from Picking Cotton is when the Warden told Cotton good news and bad news. After telling Cotton the bad news, Warden said, " The good news is the guy that committed the crime you're doing time for confessed. You're going home tomorrow." "I couldn't speak. Was he bullshitting me? How could I be here all these years and then, just like that, I'm going home tomorrow? It made me suspicious." Ronald's response in his narration towards the Warden's good news seemed almost too good to be true. Similar to the clip of Central Park Five the female who had been a victim of rape mentioning is very little. Where do they go from here? Maybe Up, maybe Down. Something will hold you either way, something will at least try to hold.

2 comments:

  1. Good news seemed alost* almost too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news seemed alost* almost too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.