Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (or to start conversations before we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Ronalds POV

I think the fact that Ronald was tried by an all-white jury, just goes to show about the racism in this book, as well as many years ago. I think the reasoning for the jury being all white was for the simple fact that the authorities wanted to prove him guilty. I feel as if he was just being set up for failure. Around the time of this book was a very racist time. That being said whites would always believe blacks are the ones at cult or always disagree towards them. Having an all-white jury solidified the fact that Ronald Cotton would be going to jail. He was a black man being accused of raping a white woman, it was an easy charge towards Cotton. I believe it's such a horrible thing how Cotton was treated due to his race. It makes me really wonder if he actually as penalized by the jury because of his race... I'm sure Ronald knew in his mind he was being set up to go to jail, just because he was a black man pointed out by a white woman. He had no say in anything. The only people who had a say were the white people sitting in that jury staring at a man, thinking he is guilty. Although i do not believe that him being black was the only reason he was found guilty, i do believe it had a lot to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.