Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (or to start conversations before we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Reasons for Elevators

Flash fictions were new to me and a bit complex. But since we've been working on them in class it has help me understand the beauty in writing flash fictions.

"Reasons for Elevators" was personally on of the more challenging flash fictions to unravel.
         While reading "Reasons for Elevators" by Lindsey Drager I was confused as to who the "I" and who the "she" was until I read it a second time and saw this line, "before to confirm this I would have had to know her before, and I was not born yet". I think that the speaker is the daughter and she is speaking of a story that was told about her mother losing a child. After revealing who the speakers are I got a better understanding of the story. The daughter exposes this hard time where her mother birthed a non breathing baby as she now older and watches the way her mother looks at her.
      "It's then I catch her looking at us as though we are solid, like we have committed some trespass just for growing old. I can see in her eyes that we will never be forgiven for getting to live."
       I'm not sure who the "we" is I'd say maybe a sibling or maybe the daughter is pregnant(and refers the the baby and herself as "we"? But either way I think it's really sad that the daughter seeks forgiveness for growing old and living.
        I did have trouble identifying the significance of the title.

1 comment:

  1. Joanely: This is a good reading of the story. The title is a bit ambiguous. Maybe think about it a little more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.