Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (or to start conversations before we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum.
Tuesday, April 19, 2016
What makes Richard so interesting?
I think people find Richard a compelling because he is such a three dimensional character, what I mean by that is that there's more to his character beyond the surface. He is a villain simply because he wants to be, he knows how society perceives him to be: ugly and deformed yet he does not care. His only motive for his actions so far seem to be power. He seems to have thirst and desire for power, this almost pathological need to be on the top no matter the consequences. He knows how to manipulate people to get what he wants, Ann is the perfect example of this and this is why he is such a real threat to the characters surrounding him. I think that plays a huge role in why he is so compelling, also I think it's because it makes people question why? Why do people have such a desire for power? Why are they willing to go to such extreme lengths to achieve this? Richard is the perfect example because he embodies what we as a society fear: power and what people will do with it. Will they help the world? or burn it? Richard is very real in that he may be a fictional character but we can connect his actions to history and current events. Which is why I think people either want to see Richard fail or people succeed because we want to see how it plays out and the aftermath of those actions. In a way, it is almost a catharsis to us, to watch things play out and let the chips fall where they may. To put it simply, Richard is compelling because he is fascinating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree on this
ReplyDelete